did you know that every 3rd bite you consume is directly associated to pollinators?
RFRK partners with George Brown College Hospitality and Culinary Arts Professor and Ontario Beekeeper, Patrick Secord, to host several thriving rooftop beehives. Since Toronto is known as a bee city, the Real Food Kitchen seemed like the perfect place to host some busy pollinators.
Did you know…
- The Real Food Kitchen is home to 4 rooftop beehives
- We started with 60,000 bees. And grew to over 130,000 bees. That’s a lotta bees!
- Bees can travel as far as 7km! Luckily, the forage in the neighbourhood is thriving, so the bees stay within 3km of the building.
- Our bees have produced up to 150kg of honey in one year
- And they live drama-free! Rooftop hives prevent predators from disrupting prime honey making time.
How you can help: Plant pollinator-friendly gardens with echinacea, goldenrod and milkweed, and avoid using garden pesticides.